March 31, 2011

Who doesn't like 5 cent records?

Here are my TOP 3 record finds from my last trip to the country. All from the same garage sale in a big box of records marked '5 cents each'. Naturally, we were like bees to a honeypot.

Number 1:  Buddy Holly masquerading as country folk trio The Browns


 
 I didn't actually know who The Browns were but the woman's face caught my eye and then I saw the inscription... 'Buddy Holly / Everyday'. Looking inside I found just that - Buddy Holly's first 7" single Everyday backed with Peggy Sue (1958, CK-3601). Both sides of that little record got plenty of rotation that weekend I can tell you. It was in excellent condition. Pity it didn't have its original sleeve - but the music is awesome. The pared down simplicity of the recording is awesome - you really feel like he's standing next to you playing.





Number 2: The Beatles - Hey Jude / Revolution 45rpm
on Apple label suitably found in a brown paper lunch bag! (A-8493).
One of eight million copies sold in 1968!
It gives me great pleasure imagining Revolution blasting out of the
family stereo in that sleepy old town where this was found.
Fittingly, John Lennon considered Buddy Holly an early influence.





Number 3: Eartha Kitt - Lovin' Spree / Under the Bridges of Paris (1953) 78rpm

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on the vintage cosmos...